RESIDENTS have less than a week to have their say on the future of waste collections in Wokingham borough.
So far, more than 6,500 people have taken part in the Wokingham Borough Council survey.
The consultation seeks residents’ views on two options to potentially change how often rubbish and recycling collections are made.
The council is proposing general rubbish collections be changed from weekly to fortnightly or three-weekly, and recycling from weekly to fortnightly.
Under all circumstances, food waste would continue to be collected weekly and subscription-based garden waste collections fortnightly.
The council is also proposing to provide a wheeled bin to each household for storing general rubbish instead of using blue plastic bags, but keeping the green waterproof bags for recycling and the small black bins for food waste.
Cllr Ian Shenton, executive member for environment, sport and leisure said: “The consultation sets out our proposals on how rubbish and recycling collections could be changed to save at least £700,000 per year without having to wait until we start a new waste contract in 2026.
“As the lowest funded unitary authority in the UK, we are making every possible effort to reduce costs and find savings to fulfil our duty of care to all residents in need of our support during this tough time.
“We don’t have the luxury to carry on as we are, as this would cost us an additional £500,000 next year, if 10% inflation continues.”
Cllr Shenton said the council has “no choice” but to make changes, but residents do have the choice to take the survey and have their say.
He added: “Every single comment will be taken into consideration when your future waste collections are being shaped.”
The deadline for responses is midnight on Monday, December 5.
For more information, or to take the survey, visit: engage.wokingham.gov.uk













































