A car park in the heart of Bracknell that was closed after it was deemed unsafe is finally set to be demolished.
The High Street multi-storey car park was built in the 1970s to provide parking for shoppers and office workers visiting the town centre.
It had 980 spaces, a walking link to Princess Square, and was also home to The Acoustic Couch, a grassroots music venue, and council-affiliated services.
But the car park had to be closed by Bracknell Forest Council in October 2023 due to significant structural deterioration, meaning it could no longer be used safely.
A decision on the demolition was officially made by the council’s planning committee yesterday (Thursday, August 13).
During the meeting, it was revealed that the work could take six months or longer.
Councillor Tony Virgo (Conservative, Winkfield & Warfield East) quipped: “Once they start, that’s it, they could have 12 years!”
Details of how the project will be managed are contained in a Demolition Environmental Management Plan by Collard, which was formally awarded the demolition contract in March last year.
Replying to cllr Virgo’s point, Jo Male, the council’s assistant director for planning, said that the timeframe for the demolition can be limited through the contract.
The council received £2.2 million in government funding from the One Public Estate Brownfield Site Release Fund to part-fund the £4 million demolition of the car park.
Cllr Mary Temperton (Labour, Great Hollands) said: “I just think this has to go, and this gives us permission to go. We’ve received money from the government to get this going, and we’ve put in money as well.
“How long it’s going to take is concerning, but hopefully when it starts it will be over as quickly as possible.
Its demolition will clear the way for 142 apartments, which is outlined in the council’s town centre masterplans supplementary document.
There is also the potential for community facilities, such as The Acoustic Couch, to be reprovided within replacement buildings.
Sheila Collings (Green, Binfield North & Warfield West), the vice-chair of the committee who chaired the meeting, said: “We know the car park needs to go. We are assured that the community facility which is being removed will be put forward in any planning application that comes forward.
“And I’m hoping it will be suitable for the music venue that we lost, which was very popular.
“There are obviously opportunities to make improvements to the town centre as a result of this demolition.”
The demolition was unanimously approved, which can be viewed using reference PA/2026/0294 on the council’s planning portal.
The project is being undertaken by the Bracknell Forest Cambium Partnership, a joint venture between the council and Countryside Homes.
No plans for the 142 apartments have been submitted yet.
Reacting, Victor Rones said: “In my view, this town will be filled with high-rise flats that make the town look like a bad slum area with flats from Mile End, Stepney or Stratford in East London.
“If I were younger, I would get out of this rat hole.”
















































